Saturday, June 21, 2014

I'm not much of a gardener...

...but I thought it would be fun to give these a try. Naturally colored cotton! I think this seedling is probably from a green cotton seed. 

There are so many ways they can fail. We'll be pushing the limits of their required growing season. They need something like 170 days and I didn't get the seeds into the ground until nearly June. I think the first frost around here is about mid-October. It'll be a race. 

I planted 24 seeds from two different varieties. One is green; the other color escapes me. Brown maybe? Only 15 seeds germinated, but that's a much better rate than the sunflowers I tried last year. (Exactly zero of those germinated.) 

We're at about four weeks now I think. The seedlings are bigger than shown in the pic, but they've already got some bug-eaten holes in them. They're also planted in a weed-infested garden plot by the new house that I just didn't have the time or tools to completely reclaim this year. So they will have to survive the weeds. And it's been pretty wet. Warm, but wet. I don't think they like wet. :( 

Still, nothing ventured nothing gained, right? 


2 comments:

  1. I've heard it said that there are no failures in gardening, only experiments. Good Luck! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never known anyone who planted cotton! Cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete