Thursday, May 9, 2013

I see sunflowers


This is the long view from our back window. Three old farm buildings. The large one in the back is the big barn. I have optimistic plans for renovating it in the next few years. The red one on the right is the mower shed. It's in useable condition, though I'd like to use it for something other than the lawn mower some day. It has a great southern exposure which I'm sure is lost on the mower. Finally, on the left is a very old animal barn. The roof is bad, filled with holes, and the timbers inside, once beautiful, are pretty much rotted out. It has to go. Not this year though. It's not high enough on the priority list.

Truthfully, I've also grown a bit fond of its simple weathered lines out my window. A lovely walnut grove shades it on the left, but the righthand side sits in unobstructed sun all day long. 

It's too far from a water source for a serious garden and too doomed to demolition to invest much effort in, but wouldn't it look great with a row of sunflowers against that southern wall? The last couple of years, we haven't been settled enough to do much planting in the spring, but ever hopeful, I've bought seeds anyway. They've piled up. Time to clean out that drawer. Like I said, I'm not willing to invest much time or effort here, but it didn't take me much to dig a little trench along the old foundation line and drop in the seeds from four different packs of 12 foot sunflower seeds. Some were a couple of years old, so we'll have to see what comes of them. I have no plans to weed, thin, or even do much in the way of watering. Hope it rains.  









2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! Although at first I though you had welded some yellow flowers to green t-posts from your picture and I thought "How frekking cool is that?!?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having some (ANY!) halfway usable buildings on your homestead are a real plus as far as I'm concerned. Love the "old farm-y" look of the shot of the three buildings. So welcoming.

    Carolyn and I think along the same track. I thought the very same thing she did regarding your "sunflowers" against the shed. After my disaster with planting the monster Mammoth Sunflowers last season, I'm all for green t-posts . . . they are much easier to extract at the end of the season!

    ReplyDelete