Friday, July 19, 2013

Volunteers

I should have known last summer, our first on the farm, was not typical. Now I'm guessing that the drought last year kept alot of the plant life at bay. This year, volunteers are popping up all over. Some of it I recognize -- the black walnuts, the locust trees, the maples. Some of it, not so much. Once I figured out what the vine on the lawnmower shed was, I realized we have wild grape vines everywhere. I had no idea these things grow invasively, but apparently they do. One is, in fact, growing up and over a tree just like kudzu. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see what the grapes are like.

Morning glories popped up in the front yard. I thought those things self-sow, so I'm surprised they survived after skipping a year. Little marigold-like flowers showed up in the perennial bed next to the cone flowers.


And this thing showed up under a mulberry tree out back.

I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know? I'm surprised to see a volunteer bulb appear in the middle of nowhere. The neighborhood is filled with naturalized tiger lilies, but this is not one of them.









Of course, the sunflowers that I planted deliberately?


Not a single one germinated.   :-)

3 comments:

  1. For the past three weeks I have felt like we are living inside a greenhouse. Everything is growing like crazy. Love the shots below of your goats and chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Synnöve in FinlandApril 27, 2016 at 11:59 PM

    Hi,your flower looks very much like a daylily. These are very common in Scandinavia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like that doesn't it? I found out more recently that it's actually a native orchid. Had no idea there was such a thing growing wild in this part of the world, but there you go.

      Delete